[Slackbuilds-users] Texlive-20130530 Build Errors

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Mar 21 13:02:43 UTC 2014

On Fri, 21 Mar 2014, Jim Diamond wrote:

> I have a mostly-full TL 2013 installation on my computer which is 3.2G.
> That includes only a small amount of the non-English stuff and about 370MB
> of backups (from TL updates).

> So, yeah, 1.3 GB is fairly minimal.

Jim,

   If there's a way to remove the non-English stuff before building I'll do
that; I don't need or use any other language.

> ?!  You could do an on-line install of the whole thing in that time
> (with a fast network connection).

   Well, it's a DASL connection that gives me ~340K/sec download; I'm too far
toward the end of the wire to get higher speeds.

> It's nice to run TeX on a fast machine, but TeX hasn't suffered (much,
> long story) from the bloatware syndrome, and people happily used it on
> computers that would be ludicrously slow compared to the slowest "PC"
> computers available today.

   This machine is plenty fast for an application that waits for my
keystrokes, even when I'm dumping thoughts on the system at 65 wpm. Since I
spend most of my time writing, and the only external-facing service running
on it is smtp (postfix), there's no need for a 64-bit installation of
anything on this host. My laptop does have the x86_64 versions of Slackware
so I do heavy computations (R, GRASS) analyses on that host.

Rich