[Slackbuilds-users] leafpad vs. libgnomeprint/libgnomeprintui

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 00:13:37 UTC 2014

On 09/25/2014 03:23 AM, Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The 'leafpad' page on SlackBuilds.org states the following:
>
> "libgnomeprint & libgnomeprintui are optional dependencies."
>
> What functionality is provided exactly by these two dependencies? Do I
> need them to print a text file edited with Leafpad (under Xfce)?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Niki

Niki

It does print without those (just tested, Xfce slac64 multilib). BUT
print preview tries to fire up evince and when that failed, calibre
launched. Odd.

However, it does have a few interface quirks and hasn't been updated
since 2010.  While that in itself isn't necessarily bad, in this case
leafpad is a bit behind and creaky.

You might want to check out on SBo:

medit: I like it. Simple GTK2, no extra deps. Nice context hghlighting,
tabs, fast and light.

geany: more IDE bells and whistles than medit, more geared to code than
plain text.

mousepad: based on leafpad but designed for Xfce. I haven't used it in
ages, but worth a try. It seems to be getting some new attention on
http://git.xfce.org/apps/mousepad/