[Slackbuilds-users] Virtualization and package building

Nicolas Kovacs info at microlinux.fr
Wed Dec 2 17:21:24 UTC 2015

Hi,

I have to build packages for Slackware 14.0 and 14.1 as well as the
upcoming 14.2, for both 32-bit and 64-bit architecture and different
scenarios: server vs. desktop.

Until april 2015 I built everything in a series of VirtualBox guests on
my main workstation, which worked quite well most of the time. I vaguely
remember having had trouble with one or two packages, but don't recall
exactly which one.

Since this date I've setup a dedicated package build host on a rather
modest hardware (AMD dual core processor, meh), and with a quite
bone-headed setup. No virtualization here, only a good old multiboot
with a hard disk partitioned to death: 15 partitions with a shared swap
and a maximum of 14 different systems, currently 8 in use. I reckon this
is a rather unusual way of doing things, but 1) KISS 2) works perfectly.

Last week I bought a thick book about Linux & Virtualization, and before
diving head first into all this stuff, I have a general question out of
curiosity. I guess most of you build your stuff in virtual guests
(correct me if I'm wrong). What kind of virtualization do you use for
this? KVM + qemu seems to be great for servers, but is it apt for
setting up a desktop stuff and building graphical applications (Scribus,
VLC, whatever)?

I think I'll read the book differently if I already have a vague sense
of where I'm heading.

Cheers,

Niki
7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat