[Slackbuilds-users] Virtualization and package building

Andrzej Telszewski atelszewski at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 17:29:32 UTC 2015

On 02/12/15 18:21, Nicolas Kovacs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have to build packages for Slackware 14.0 and 14.1 as well as the
> upcoming 14.2, for both 32-bit and 64-bit architecture and different
> scenarios: server vs. desktop.
>
> Until april 2015 I built everything in a series of VirtualBox guests on
> my main workstation, which worked quite well most of the time. I vaguely
> remember having had trouble with one or two packages, but don't recall
> exactly which one.
>
> Since this date I've setup a dedicated package build host on a rather
> modest hardware (AMD dual core processor, meh), and with a quite
> bone-headed setup. No virtualization here, only a good old multiboot
> with a hard disk partitioned to death: 15 partitions with a shared swap
> and a maximum of 14 different systems, currently 8 in use. I reckon this
> is a rather unusual way of doing things, but 1) KISS 2) works perfectly.
>
> Last week I bought a thick book about Linux & Virtualization, and before
> diving head first into all this stuff, I have a general question out of
> curiosity. I guess most of you build your stuff in virtual guests
> (correct me if I'm wrong).

I build natively on the machine that I'm running on.

> What kind of virtualization do you use for
> this? KVM + qemu seems to be great for servers, but is it apt for
> setting up a desktop stuff and building graphical applications (Scribus,
> VLC, whatever)?

It doesn't matter, QEMU is equal for server and desktop. What matters is
the software you have installed *within* the virtual machine. I you
installed all the X & and friends, you can build for desktop (if by
server we mean GUI-less and by desktop GUI-full).

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Telszewski