[Slackbuilds-users] fontforge 2017 update

David Woodfall dave at dawoodfall.net
Sun Aug 6 18:46:09 UTC 2017

>On 08/05/2017 09:23 PM, B Watson wrote:
>> On 8/5/17, King Beowulf <kingbeowulf at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Bah. The 2017 release is just a git snapshot. The 2017 version needs
>>> gnulib which it git clones on the fly, so
>>> ./bootstrap --skip-git --skip-po
>>> doesn't work (amoung no git found error). gnulib in SBo is older so not
>>> sure I have time to go down that rabbit hole.
>>
>> I'm the gnulib SBo maintainer... gnulib doesn't do releases, I'm using the
>> same snapshot "release" that's in Debian unstable (and also the latest
>> Ubuntu). Does the new fontforge give a minimum version (snapshot date)
>> that it requires?
>>
>> Not too much stuff in SBo requires gnulib. I wouldn't mind updating it to
>> a newer snapshot, but it'd be nice to use a snapshot that's widely used &
>> known not to be broken (which is why I used the version from Deb/Ubuntu).
>
>I haven't had a chance to try the SBo version of gnulib with the latest
>fontforge.  I just noticed that the new release of fontforge pulls in a
>git snapshot if its bootstrap script doesn't find it.  The 2015
>fontforge doesn't use gnulib.  Better to let David figure that out since
>I do need to worry about my own 35 or so scripts.
>
>-Ed

I noticed that it also does a git clone of uthash.

fontforge-20170731 builds OK with gnulib-20140202 and uthash-2.0.2.

Lilypond builds OK with that fontforge installed and appears to run
normally, although I've never used it before so it's hard for me to
tell if it works properly. Both frescobaldi and rosegarden build and
appear to run fine using that lilypond, so I will update the fontforge
slackbuild.

Dave