[Slackbuilds-users] Package versions

x80 x80 at telus.net
Fri Jan 20 07:18:20 UTC 2017

On 01/19/2017 09:42 PM, Klaatu wrote:
> On 20/01/17 07:01, Ryan P.C. McQuen wrote:
>> On 1/19/17, Full Name <nuncestbibendum at excite.com> wrote:
>>> As a long time user of Slackware, I am immensely grateful to the people who
>>> have volunteered (and continue to do so) their time and effort to maintain
>>> and update third-party code, so that the rest of us Slackware users can
>>> painlessly and easily build the necessary software by using the resources in
>>> Slackbuilds (and sbopkpg.) Once again, kudos and appreciation to you.
>>>
>>> Having said that, all too often maintainers do not update the software all
>>> that promptly. It is not uncommon to have Slackbuilds packages that are
>>> several releases behind what one can get from distributions like (shudder)
>>> Fedora or (shudder!) Ubuntu. This can be a critical issue - I have been in
>>> the position of the gentleman who enquired about docker, and I eventually
>>> had to install an Ubuntu VM in my Slackware box, for the docker version in
>>> Slackware is just too old for what I needed to do. Unfortunately, pinging
>>> maintainers does not always work. In fact, having tried that myself in
>>> connection to other packages, I never got any replies, and the relevant
>>> packages remain behind the current versions.
>>>
>>> I understand that maintainers cannot (indeed, should not) be forced to do
>>> anything in particular. Heck, they do what they do in their spare time, with
>>> no remuneration, out of the goodness of their heart, and a sense of
>>> community. For which we are all, I am sure, very thankful. I also understand
>>> that they may happy legitimate reasons not to update their packages.
>>> However, I wonder if maintainers could be a bit more proactive and
>>> responsible about their packages? If you assume the responsibility of
>>> maintaining Slackware packages, do assume the responsibility; do a good job
>>> of it. If that is too big a burden on your time, just relinquish such
>>> responsibility, as we see some do, every so often. But, please, do not stay
>>> as the official maintainer while at the same time you silently ignore the
>>> requests that you get from people. If nothing else, that taints Slackware's
>>> reputation.
>>>
>>> One of the ripostes that I am bound to get here is, Why don't you become a
>>> maintainer yourself? Well, that is not the point. I, for one, do not have
>>> the time, knowledge, and drive to become a maintainer. Not everybody does
>>> have what it takes. I just think that Slackware is the best Linux
>>> distribution for me, and I want to be able to use the best software that I
>>> can under Slackware. I can occasionally install, by hand, newer versions of
>>> software packages than those in Slackbuilds - but that defeats the purpose
>>> of Slackbuilds. Also, sometimes I just do not have the expertise - the
>>> docker case is one example.
>>>
>>> I expect that some will dismiss all this retorting "If Slackware is too
>>> difficult for you then use Ubuntu (or whatever) instead." Well, they may be
> [...]
I'll add my thoughts as amusement for the group here. As a happy user of
Slackware64 14.1 and a Linux user for almost 25 years when I access the
slackbuilds repo for a build script I expect it to work, period. The
last package I downloaded was the build script for xosd. (Obviously for
dinking with my own delusion of programming, we'll not go further into
that...) Well, the script did not work without the modification of the
$VERSION tag. Not unreasonably, I was able to figure my way out of this,
but not without over 20 years of experience diddling scripts and source
code. Friends, the build scripts are there for noobies, not guys like
me. I appreciate the effort you people put into the site and scripts but
really, expect the people who still have 14.0 installed to look up a
package and try to install it just to have the script fail like xosd
failed on 14.1 for me.

In short, build scripts are for noobs, and if they can get the software
built and installed, then they are not noobs, and noobs don't follow
current.

Good day, gentlemen.