[Slackbuilds-users] Package versions

Klaatu klaatu at member.fsf.org
Sat Jan 21 05:29:20 UTC 2017

On 21/01/17 06:12, Erik Hanson wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jan 2017 18:42:29 +1300
> Klaatu <klaatu at member.fsf.org> wrote:
>
>> I was under the impression that SlackBuilds.org mimicked Slackware
>> itself in update policy: release, and then it's primarily up to the
>> user to adapt the build scripts if further maintenance is required.
>> That's why they're build scripts, no?
>>
>> I understand that SlackBuilds.org needs to update, but the update
>> policy should be, in part, the local user's job, not SBo's.
>
> I'm not sure what "SlackBuilds.org needs to update" means. I guess
> the website looks a little dated? At any rate, the policy has been,
> and still is, that maintainers take care of their own scripts.
>
>> If SlackBuilds.org is going to follow -current, then maybe there ought
>> to be a separate git branch for -current? That way I can pull in new
>> buildscripts without updating old buildscripts out from under me.
>
> I don't know where this is coming from, admittedly I haven't read
> everything in this thread, as some of it is quite lengthy, but there
> are no plans to follow -current. We (SBo admins) have not talked about
> doing so -at all- and it's safe to say we aren't entertaining the idea.

Erik,

No, I think you're reading my statements almost exactly in the opposite
way that I meant them.

The executive summary:

I was responding to several posts that were suggesting that SBo
maintainers need to update their scripts more often.

I was arguing that this is not the case, and that build scripts are
scripts so users can update them.

I was not suggesting that the *site* needs an update, in fact far from
it. The site is functional and works well in both GUI and text browsers.
If you ask me, I'd prefer it not to change.

The sentence was written to allow for the idea that some *packages* need
updating from time to time, while primarily stating my desire for SBo
packages to mimic Slackware's stability instead of rapid updates for
update's sake.

- klaatu