[Slackbuilds-users] Package versions

Matteo Bernardini matteo.bernardini at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 11:09:24 UTC 2017

> ok, slowly, one more time
> 1) the one who is sending the pull request

this is the first problem, as most of the times there aren't any pull
request but "hey, X has been updated to W.Y.Z, update it ASAP!"

> 2) the one who is applying the pull request

David already answered to it in his last mail: we have too many
scripts and it's not reasonable that we test stuff in such a worflow.
in the qt-5.x example you made before, assuming and thoughly QA
process, that will involve testing the new build (and you know the
time it takes), rebuilding and testing everything depending on it
(also optionally) and using it for a reasonable time.
and qt-5.x is just one of the thousands SlackBuilds we have in our repository

> 3) those who use the package in testing,

we cannot have any assurance that people will use thoughly everything
we put on such a branch: people don't do that even with the /testing
stuff in Slackware (see, as an example, who adopted the new gcc in
current's /testing).

> 4) merging testing into stable at the time a package can be considered as
> tested, eg due to positive feedback on a issue tracer.
> more quality control, less work for a single person through more involvement
> of the community.

unfortunately, for the reason stated above, things don't go this way:
maybe you are speakng about stuff where there are a lot of more people
involved (admins, maintainers and users).

Matteo