[Slackbuilds-users] Renaming ltm to be libtommath

Kees Theunissen C.J.Theunissen at differ.nl
Tue Jan 31 04:40:08 UTC 2017

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017, Kees Theunissen wrote:

>It's cumbersome and error prone for users of the renamed package.
>Although "upgradepkg" _does_ support the replacement op a package
>with a differently named one this _won't_ and _can't_ be supported
>by automated tools like sbopkg. The .info file simply has no fields
>like "old_name" or "new_name".
>
>All an automated tool can do is flagging that an installed package
>doesn't exist in the repository anymore. I don't know if any tool
>does so.

As a work arroud it is possible to get the user's attention by
keeping the old named package in the repository with:
-- an updated version number (preferably an unlikely high value),
-- a README file that mentions the renaming of the package,
-- a .info file with fake download urls.
This will surely trigger an error in automated tools.

Regards,

Kees Theunissen.

--
Kees Theunissen,  System and network manager,   Tel: +31 (0)40-3334724
Dutch Institute For Fundamental Energy Research (DIFFER)
e-mail address:   C.J.Theunissen at differ.nl
postal address:   PO Box 6336, 5600 HH, Eindhoven, the Netherlands
visitors address: De Zaale 20, 5612 AJ, Eindhoven, the Netherlands