[Slackbuilds-users] Renaming ltm to be libtommath

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 07:05:03 UTC 2017

On 1/30/17, Kees Theunissen <C.J.Theunissen at differ.nl> wrote:

> It's cumbersome and error prone for users of the renamed package.

In this case I think it won't be a big deal. Only one package depends
on ltm, and that's convertlit... and I'll be updating both of them at
the same time, renaming ltm and changing convertlit's info file so it
depends on libtommath instead of ltm... and bumping convertlit's BUILD,
so sbopkg will notice it's changed.

Anyone with ltm installed, almost certainly has it installed because it's
a dep for convertlit. So using sbopkg to look for upgradable packages will
see the new convertlit, and its info file will show the new libtommath.

I'll add a note to libtommath's README saying 'this build was previously
known as ltm; if you still have that installed, remove it before
installing libtommath'. I hate to sound like this, but... anyone who
doesn't read the README deserves whatever happens to them. That applies
whether they're using a tool like sbopkg or not.

The alternative to all this (not renaming the package) would be easier,
but I've become convinced it really does have the wrong name. If there's
no way to fix mistakes, we'll end up with an even bigger mess.