[Slackbuilds-users] DNSSEC, and DANE for SMTP

Rob McGee rob0 at slackbuilds.org
Sat Jul 1 18:11:54 UTC 2017

Hello Slackbuilders!

We have signed the slackbuilds.org DNS zone now.  DNSSEC-validating
resolvers will see valid signatures on every record in our zone.

Also, we have implemented RFC 7672 (and related) for DANE
authentication via SMTP:
	https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7672
	https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNS-based_Authentication_of_Named_Entities

What this means in a nutshell is that if you are sending to us
from/through a DANE-enabled MTA, your TLS connections are fully
authenticated and secured.  This includes addresses both
@slackbuilds.org and @lists.slackbuilds.org.

DANE for SMTP is a fully client-side protocol.  This *only* helps
secure connections TO us to send mail to us.  We have used client
DANE support for outgoing mail for many years, BTW.

For @slackbuilds.org email users, nothing has changed.  You still
will see the Let's Encrypt certificate when using your MUA to send
mail on port 587 or to receive mail via IMAP.

Port 25, however, is using a new certificate from our own private
SSL-CA (certificate authority.)  The frequent expiration of LE
certificates is a problem for DANE.  Plus, one of the advantages of
DANE is that we don't need an external CA to vouch for us.  We have
allowed you to verify our CA through our signed DNS records.

DANE support in other protocols is a long way off, but it's already
implemented for SMTP in two popular MTAs (Postfix and Exim.)

DANE *is NOT* a substitute for GnuPG, S/MIME, or other end-to-end
email encryption methods.  System admins at both ends have the
ability to "snoop" on unencrypted mail.  What DANE does is limit
snoopability and prevent "man-in-the-middle" attacks.
    Rob McGee - /dev/rob0 - rob0 at slackbuilds.org