[Slackbuilds-users] Updates - 20170715.1

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Sat Jul 15 01:05:32 UTC 2017

On Sat, 15 Jul 2017 07:53:27 +0700
Willy Sudiarto Raharjo <willysr at slackbuilds.org> wrote:

> This is also a good reminder for all maintainers NOT TO USE cp -a
> when trying to copy something from $CWD or else it will have a
> strange owner instead of root. If you want to copy things from the
> directory that the source created, cp -a is fine.

Potential downside to *not* using "cp -a" is that timestamps on
the files are not preserved. volkerdi clued me in to this one:
just because e.g. the INSTALL file is present does mean it's
been maintained; a timestamp of 2006 is a good indication that
it will be a waste of time to even open it.

If you use cp -a, just make sure you fixup the ownership and/or
permissions afterward (it's a good idea to check these things
regardless, but given that some of my builds were affected, I
guess it's clear that I didn't do such a good job of it either).

-RW