[Slackbuilds-users] ham/qrq: Pulseaudio or OSS sound support?

Nate Bargmann n0nb at n0nb.us
Tue Mar 7 02:58:34 UTC 2017

One of the package scripts I have been granted permission to take over
is ham/qrq, a Morse Code speed trainer.  The version of the script
currently in the repository builds with support of OSS sound.
Unfortunately, on my Slackware 14.2 and Slackware64 14.2 VMs, qrq fails
at runtime with a message that /dev/dsp could not be found.  I have
patched the build script to build with Pulseaudio support which is the
default for the qrq package's source Makefile.  I have confirmed on both
VMs and my Salix 14.2 host that qrq works with Pulseaudio "out of the
box".

To alert script users of the changes I have added a note to the README
and a short comment in the qrq.slackbuilds script.  Are these adequate
steps to take or should I leave the script to build OSS support by
default and alert Pulseaudio (and I presume by extension ALSA) users of
the needed change?  Given the Pulseaudio support in Slackware 14.2 I'd
like to think that building Pulseaudio support is now the correct step
to take.

I'd like to get some feedback on this list before submitting the updated
slackbuild tarball.

- Nate