[Slackbuilds-users] Updates - 20170326.1

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 20:03:38 UTC 2017

On 3/26/17, Didier Spaier <didier at slint.fr> wrote:

>   find /usr/share/applications -name "*.desktop" -exec desktop-file-validate
> '{}' ';'
> show that some .desktop files also need attention in the distribution
> itself.

Very true. Pat's philosophy is to let upstream worry about it... but,
the .desktop files I'm talking about aren't from 'upstream', they're the
ones included in the SBo repo, written by SBo maintainers (or possibly
borrowed from other distros). The ones that are checked into SBo git,
not ones that come from the source download.

For .desktop files that do come from upstream (part of the source tarball,
get installed via 'make install'), I personally prefer to patch or sed
them to make them validate. But if someone wants to follow the 'let
upstream fix their .desktop file' approach, there's nothing wrong with
that either.

Although, if upstream's .desktop file is so broken that the application
doesn't appear in the KDE/XFCE menus, or does appear but won't run from
the menu, IMO it should be patched by the SBo maintainer (and the patch
sent to upstream also). This case is no different from a C source file
that won't compile, really. It's a maintainer's job to turn the source
into a package that works well on Slackware, and for most people,
being unable to launch the app from the standard menu counts as "not
working well".

Sorry, that turned into a rant, I didn't really intend it to.