[Slackbuilds-users] Repology a public emailaddress repository; SlackBuilds-users Digest, Vol 147, Issue 3

rob van nues rvnues at disroot.org
Mon Jul 2 19:00:30 UTC 2018

On Mon, 02 Jul 2018 16:58:06 +0000
slackbuilds-users-request at slackbuilds.org wrote:

> Maintainers emails are pretty public in the SBo repository.

Well, that is fairly specific environment compared to the big heap
repology provides..

> 	A quick grep shows 761 different maintainers email, of which
> 96 are somehow scrambled (of which 4 are yours ^^), and 665 are plain.
>
> 	Besides, the kind of scrambling we're talking about
> (guy at domain dot tld, or john[dot]doe[at]domain[dot]tld) aren't
> really a difficulty for spammers.
> 	I could write a script in 15 minutes that'll scrape plain and
> scrambled emails off of any webpages, if they're scrambled like that.

Maybe we should consider another way of contacting providers.

> 	So, well, I don't think you should be more worried now than
> you were before.

That's not the issue; the fact that personal details get transferred
from SBo to another site who actively advertises these details
on the basis of a facebook-like argumentation is
something that can no longer be accepted as normal.

According to eu laws people should be informed about this and asked to
opt out if they want to. I do not see the need why repology should be
able to publish my details without such provisions.

I have repology to remove these details. I do not need and I do not
want this kind of PR.

And I think Sbo should think much harder than to make these
details so publicly available. If they do, it should be via a layer in
between; that is, for example, via an SBo-email address that represents
the maintainer so that email-requests can be moderated/filtered. I do
not want that details that have been in good faith passed on to SBo, are
brought onto a platform that, when big and popular enough, will be
sold/mined by agencies we are not thinking of as yet.

Rob