[Slackbuilds-users] RFC: patch for cfitsio for some astronomy software

Dominik Drobek dominik.drobek at o2.pl
Sat Mar 3 17:59:43 UTC 2018

Hi again,

Turns out you don't need to compile libindi to reproduce the issue. It's
sufficient to simply attempt to compile anything with gcc using -lcfitsio.

The problem is in the way configure script in cfitsio handles
--with-bzip2 option. It has an "optional" argument, which is supposed to
be a path to where libbz2.so resides. Notice this snippet from configure.in:

# BZIP2 flags:
if test "x$BZIP2_PATH" != x; then
    CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -I${BZIP2_PATH}/include"
    LDFLAGS="$LDFLAGS -L${BZIP2_PATH}/lib -lbz2"
fi

If "optional" argument to --with-bzip2 is not supplied then $BZIP2_PATH
is empty, and -lbz2 doesn't get added to LDFLAGS. If $BZIP2_PATH is not
empty then -lbz2 will be added to LDFLAGS. Additionally, -L option will
be added. This will not have a correct path in Slackware64 (because it
always ends with "/lib"), but it actually doesn't matter, since system
libbz2.so is in the default search location.

I prefer to fix this issue with my SlackBuild by simply removing
--with-bzip2 option from ./configure. And I will do it this way, unless
you will tell me that you need bzip2 support in cfitsio. :)

I naively assumed that simply adding --with-bzip2 will enable this
feature without any further problems. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Dominik