[Slackbuilds-users] Today's DMARC debacle

Rob McGee rob0 at slackbuilds.org
Thu Mar 22 17:37:46 UTC 2018

On Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 08:34:33AM +0000, Habs wrote:
> Does DMARC have to be specifically setup by a domain admin ? i.e.
> it can't just be inadvertently turned on.
>
> I presume it does based on what I read briefly, about adding
> entries into the domain records etc.

That's how it is done, so yes.  If your domain is delegated to
someone else to manage the DNS, it's possible that a DMARC record
could be added without you knowing it.  But if you control your own
DNS, you'll only set a DMARC record specifically.

> I have to admit until I read
> about it on this list I was almost fully clueless as to what
> DMARC was (acronyms to the ignorant and all that).

Mail stuff is an awful mess, and DMARC was one of the things to
exacerbate the situation.

One thing we had to consider is that most of our subscribers use
email providers, so DMARC is beyond their control.  We don't want
them to be penalized because of lack of clue (or indeed, malice) at
their email provider.
    Rob McGee - /dev/rob0 - rob0 at slackbuilds.org