[Slackbuilds-users] hoorex-0.6.4 and tty control Strings

Christoph Willing chris.willing at linux.com
Sun Sep 16 22:42:02 UTC 2018

On 16/9/18 8:10 pm, Konrad J Hambrick wrote:
> Chris --
>
> I've been using hoorex in several scripts to generate build / install
> lists for SBo Programs.
>
> This week's hoorex version 0.6.4 broke my SBo Update scripts.
>
> Specifically, it is the newly introduced, ANSI termcap /  terminfo
> strings in the # OUTPUT section ( lines 284- 304 ) that cause issues.
>
> Since the only changes between 0.6.2 and 0.6.4 are the license and the
> ANSI Terminal Strings, I have reverted to hoorex 0.6.2
>
> Would it be possible to turn off the ANSI terminfo strings by command
> line argument or by default or via the config file or even better, if
> the output device is not an ANSI tty ?

Sorry about that. I had considered controlling it with a command line
option but after I wondered about the possibility of encountering
non-ANSI terminals for nearly 5 minutes, I didn't bother with it. What
could go wrong?

> One other suggestion for portability is to check out the python curses
> module rather than hard-coding VT100 Escape Sequences ?

I had also looked at that possibility - the seemingly magical detection
of terminal type was really attractive but it looked pretty awkward to
set up programmatically. After looking at it again since you've raised
this problem, I think I may have found a relatively simple way to
implement a solution.

A problem I will have with the python curses solution is how to test. Is
your problem due to a physical device you're using, or is it to do with
how you're using hoorex in your update scripts i.e. something I could
replicate sufficiently to test any fix?

chris