[Slackbuilds-users] Unmaintained builds - want any of these?

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Sat Jan 4 23:36:44 UTC 2020

On 1/4/20, Ruben Schuller <mail at rbn.im> wrote:

> FYI: I think I have to resubmit a completely new build, as the current
> one contains no license:
> https://slackbuilds.org/slackbuilds/14.2/libraries/tcllib/tcllib.SlackBuild

Eh, you don't really have to do that.

When you take over a build that didn't have a license, you can do this:

# Originally written by J. Random Luser <email removed>.
# Modified and now maintained by Ruben Schuller <mail at rbn.im>.
# Original version had no license; modified version released under
# the <whichever>.

...then include whatever license term comments you were going to use.

IANAL, standard disclaimers apply, my take on it:

Since there was no license to begin with, there's nothing to prevent
you relicensing it... I guess you could even legally remove the original
author's name, but please don't (even if it's legal, it's rude).

The other thing to realize is that the vast majority of code in most
SlackBuilds comes straight from the template. You might write a new build
from scratch (without even looking at the old one) and anyone looking
at both versions would think yours was a modification of the old one.