[Slackbuilds-users] Pixma driver module for Canon scanner

Christoph Willing chris.willing at linux.com
Sat Jan 11 01:10:51 UTC 2020

On 10/1/20 3:06 pm, Christoph Willing wrote:
> On 10/1/20 2:55 pm, Christoph Willing wrote:
>> On 10/1/20 10:22 am, Rich Shepard wrote:
>>> I sent this directly to Chris but it was rejected.
>>>
>> Sorry about that - I don't know why
>>

>>> I bought a Canon CanoScan LiDE 400. The SANE supported devices page says
>>> it's completely supported using the pixma module.
>>>
>> I think they're referring to their own (sane-pixma) "module" in their
>> software, not an actual kernel module.
>>
>>> I just built and installed your pixma SBo package.
>>>
>>> sane-find-scanner shows
>>> found USB scanner (vendor=0x2e04, product=0xc025) at libusb:001:028
>>> found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon], product=0x1912 [LiDE 400]) at
>>> libusb:001:032
>>>
>>> scanimage -L shows
>>> No scanners were identified.
>>>
>>> modprobe cannot load the module:
>>> # modprobe pixma
>>> modprobe: FATAL: Module pixma not found in directory /lib/modules/4.19.84
>>>
>> As above - no kernel module involved.
>>
>> What you need is a suitable driver. There are (at least) two SBo
>> SlackBuilds for drivers covering different Pixma printer/scanners,
>> namely system/pixma and system/cnijfilter2 but I don't thinks either of
>> these is suitable for your scanner (check each README - I don't see your
>> device listed).
>>
>> I used to have an earlier model CanoScan LiDE scanner for which I think
>> I used the supplied driver on the CD (was a long time ago). To obtain
>> the latest driver in your case, I suggest downloading from:
>>
>> "https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/products/scanners/lide_series/canoscan-lide-400.html?type=drivers&language=en&os=linux%20(64-bit)"
>>
>> from where Linux driver packages are available in .deb, .rpm and source
>> formats. You'll have to wrangle one of those to install.
>>

> I just dug up my old scanner (CanoScan LiDE 60) and plugged it in, after
> which XSane detected it immediately on startup without any additional
> driver being installed. Have you tried XSane? Also:
>
> chris at d7:~$ scanimage -L
> device `genesys:libusb:001:004' is a Canon LiDE 60 flatbed scanner
> device `epson2:net:192.168.20.20' is a Epson PID 08C4 flatbed scanner
> device `epson2:libusb:002:003' is a Epson PID 08C4 flatbed scanner

Since my LiDE 60 works without any additional driver, it must be
supported directly by sane itself. Looking through /etc/sane.d/*.conf, I
found an entry for it in /etc/sane.d/genesys.conf (which makes sense
given the result above from running 'scanimage -L').

Since your device is fairly new, I wonder if it will be recognised by
just adding an entry for it, along with the others,  in
/etc/sane.d/genesys.conf - something like:

# Canon LiDE 400
usb 0x04a9 0x1912

If it doesn't work in genesys.conf (I just suggest that first because
all the other LiDE's are in there), then you could try putting it in
/etc/sane.d/pixma.conf, although that seems set up for networked devices
rather than USB.

chris