[Slackbuilds-users] [zope] Taking over the Zope...

Arnaud arnaud.garcia-fernandez at laposte.net
Mon Jul 3 19:46:10 UTC 2023

Hi everybody,

	I've taken over maintainance of mailman, but it is stuck on version 2.x,
as it is.
I'm trying to update it to version 3.x which requires a *lot* of python packages.

Amongst them are most of the existing zope.something packages.
All of them are unmaintained, except for zope.interface which I'm maintaining
already. Some are dating as far back as their addition on Slackware 13.0, except
for global maintainance, template updates and stuff like that.

So I'll take over all of them, put them on python3, and update them.
The list is as follow :
Needed for mailman 3 :
 * zope.component
 * zope.configuration
 * zope.event
 * zope.hookable
 * zope.i18nmessageid
 * zope.schema
Other zope packages :
 * zope.location
 * zope.proxy
 * zope.security
 * zope.sqlalchemy
 * zope.testing
New packages :
 * python3-transaction -> part of the zope project too, but without zope in the
name.
 * ZODB -> Replacing ZODB3 which is archived

For that, I'll check that locust, letsencrypt and gaphor are still working
properly, and are maintained, thay are the only packages requiring any of those
ones.

If someone got something to add, please do, I'm preparing the work :)
That won't be enough for mailman 3, but it's a start...
Other packages will have to be added, using proper channels...

I'm wondering about keeping a mailman2 package for mailman 2, which is far less
complex. Or maybe not, if nobody wants that.

Also, I think I'll keep their names as zope.something, instead of
python3-zope.something, feeling like the zope prefix might be enough, since
they'll all be python3-only after I'm done with them.

	Feel free to give your opinion !

Cheers,

	- Yth / Arnaud.