[Slackbuilds-users] New orphans

Kenneth Chan kenneth.t.chan at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 00:51:36 UTC 2026


Thanks for the valuable inputs. Personally I've never used its man page and
probably never will notice it without this discussion.

So, I looked into it and turns out there's an easy fix (credit to AI).
Simply adding '--version-string' option to the help2man command fixes it.

The bigger question from me is, we all know the original thjaeger/easystroke
is unmaintained since 2018. Other forks exist as compilation fix. Most
other distros have either dropped the package or marked as orphaned so
they're of not much reference. Arch uses the more "up to date"
mrsteve0924/eaystroke fork (only minor patching needed). Considering the
thjaeger/easystroke won't compile without extensive patching, should we use
the mrsteve0924 or other forks?

On Wed, 23 Sept 2026 at 17:29, B. Watson <urchlay at slackware.uk> wrote:

>
>
> On Tue, 22 Sep 2026, Jeremy Hansen wrote:
>
> > @Kenneth Chan, help2man is now part of Slackware, so I'd probably remove
> the conditional to build the man page and just do it automatically.
> >
> > (This is probably what B. Watson intended with his email, but I didn't
> realize it until testing on my chroot.)
>
> Actually yes... I had forgot help2man is in Slackware, too.
>
> The generated man page is awful. The NAME section think the program
> is named "The", and it shows all the options twice. The trailer at
> the bottom of the page, which e.g. for ls(1) looks like this:
>
>    GNU coreutils 9.5                 March 2024
>  LS(1)
>
> ...instead looks like:
>
>    The full easystroke documentatioSeptemberl2026 at the following
> address:THE(1)
>
> Also the header shows THE(1) as the program name (it should be
> EASYSTROKE(1)).
>
> This is a problem too for "man -k" aka "apropos". With the package
> installed, you'd expect "man -k gesture" to show you easystroke, but
> it'll find "The" instead. Not helpful...
>
> If it were my build, I'd fix that, even if it meant rewriting the man
> page from scratch (I'd write it in RST and use rst2man, nobody really
> wants to write raw troff).
>
> Alternately, if the broken man page bothers you and you don't care
> about it enough to write a new man page... just don't include it in
> the package at all. It's just the --help output. Better not to provide
> a man page at all, if it's broken.
>
> Yes, I'm being overly nitpicky. These are ideas, suggestions, don't
> take them as me trying to tell you what to
> do._______________________________________________
> SlackBuilds-users mailing list
> SlackBuilds-users at slackbuilds.org
> https://lists.slackbuilds.org/mailman/listinfo/slackbuilds-users
> Archives - https://lists.slackbuilds.org/pipermail/slackbuilds-users/
> FAQ - https://slackbuilds.org/faq/
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.slackbuilds.org/pipermail/slackbuilds-users/attachments/20260927/2f5f175c/attachment.htm>


More information about the SlackBuilds-users mailing list