[Slackbuilds-users] IMPORTANT - Changes to app.info format

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Tue Dec 11 15:54:28 UTC 2007

Deak, Ferenc wrote:
> On Dec 10, 2007 11:45 PM, Robby Workman <rworkman at slackbuilds.org> wrote:
>> We've just (hopefully) finished up with some minor changes to the
>> format of the app.info file - all script submitters should pay
>> close attention to this mail.
>>
>> The AUTHOR field of the .info file has been changed to
>> MAINTAINER instead - this more accurately reflects the way things
>> tend to work.  This way, it's easier to keep track of who is
>> responsible for maintaining a script without creating the
>> impression that the maintainer also wrote the script (although
>> that is often the case).
>>
>> The other important change to the .info file format is that all values
>> should now be enclosed in double quotes - that is, like this:
>>   PRGNAM="someapp"
>
> If we are on changing the .info file format can we extend the DOWNLOAD link to
> contain more than one source? I have one package (development/jasspa) which
> needs it (unfortunatly the sources are split into two parts - and
> these are not optinal).
> In this case MD5SUM must be extended also.
>
> DOWNLOAD="<link-1> <link-2> .. <link-n>"
> MD5SUM="<sum-of-link-1> ... <sum-of-link-2>"
>
> In the current scheme the second (and nth) download links (which are
> _NOT_ optional)
> must be placed to README, which is not as exact as a concrete line in
> the .info file.

I seriously doubt that this will happen any time soon (if at all).
It isn't a common enough issue at this point for us to devote any
time, effort, and other resources to supporting it, especially since
it seems to require quite a few backend changes in the upload code.
It's just a better use of our time to spend it testing submissions
and pushing them out the door... :/

-RW