[Slackbuilds-users] .info file for multiple source tarballs?

Heinz Wiesinger HMWiesinger at gmx.at
Wed Dec 12 09:20:44 UTC 2007

Halim Issa wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 December 2007 10:24:24 Niki Kovacs wrote:
> > I'd like to submit a SlackBuild script for the ipw3945 wireless driver.
> > This driver needs no less than three source tarballs from two different
> > sites to build.

I would suggest making three seperate build scripts for them. If I understand
you correctly you mean the driver-source, the firmware and the binary-daemon.
It would be no problem to seperate them to three builds, as there's no
build-time depedency.
However, isn't there a build script available upstream in Slackware?

> I submitted a slackbuild ofor the iwlwifi driver a while ago but see it's
> not yet accepted. I recommend people to use the opensource iwlwifi driver
> over the older (and soon depreciated) ipw3945 which also requires a binary
> daemon.

That's cool. I would definitely like to use that, can you tell me what the
packages name is, I can't find it as iwlwifi.
However, the iwlwifi driver does still have some bugs, and recommendation is
to use the ipw3945 driver to solve them :/.

> Since iwlwifi is included in the releasecandidate-series of kernel 2.6.24
> and as such will be generally available hopefully before Christmas, my
> recommendation would be for Slackware users to use the mainstream
> kernel.org solution provided by iwlwifi and mac80211

Best idea for now, and also because Slackware 12 doesn't ship with kernel
>2.6.24, would be to offer both drivers IMHO.
From what I know, both can be installed together on the same system, so that
you can switch to the other if one doesn't work.

Heinz Wiesinger