[Slackbuilds-users] [ANN]: sbo-dev-helper project

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Thu Dec 17 05:21:59 UTC 2009

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 12:57:35 +0800
Grissiom <chaos.proton at gmail.com> wrote:

> > 2) template.info / slack-desc.template
> >
> > It was not very clear what should be in these files, but I think I
> > managed to build them by reading the scripts.
> >

> When I wake up in the noon I realized that I didn't doc what these
> files are... ;( I will add a description somewhere.
>
> And for sbo admins, would you like to add a folder to contain all the
> template files(slack-desc, info, SlackBuild) somewhere like
> ftp://ftp.slackbuilds.org/templates ? Then it will be very convenient
> for users to follow the changes.

Hrm, well...  long-standing convention is a only single
template.SlackBuild script in toplevel ~/www/ - but if
there's no objection from the other admins, I'm not opposed
to splitting that out into its constituent files inside a
~/www/templates/ directory.  I can then make the original
template.SlackBuild file contain a pointer to the new location.

That's probably a better solution anyway, to be honest, if only
for the sake of clarity.

> > - I think the solution to add files can be improved. I have several
> > SlackBuilds with extra files (patches / README.Slackware / etc.). I
> > suggest adding everything to the tarball, *except*: *.tar.?g* / *~ /
> > <other_backup_files>
> >

> Hmm, my hobbit is untar the source in the working directory and have
> a look at it and write/modify the SlackBuild etc. And the working dir
> maybe really dirty -- have log files, swp files, and other files that
> shouldn't be in the tarball. So I prefer the "white list" approach
> than the "black list" approach. What do you think?

Both methods are failure prone.  While a whitelist is *usually*
the best solution, I don't think it is in this case - there's
simply no way to predict the names of files that should and/or
should not go into the tarball.  In fact, there may even be
some legitimate cases in which a tar.gz archive should be included
in the tarball (even though I'm not aware of one at the moment).
I know the Slackware source tree contains several such tarballs
inside source directories, but thus far we've not found a need
for them (to my recollection).

Ultimately, I think it should be up to the potential submitter
to ensure that the archive which he/she plans to submit contains
all (and only) the files it's supposed to contain.  If some
"helper" can't do this reliably (and I posit that it cannot,
as this task simply *requires* human interaction), then don't
try to build such functionality into the helper.

-RW