[Slackbuilds-users] 13.1

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Wed May 26 03:30:39 UTC 2010

On Wed, 26 May 2010 03:12:06 +0100
Eugen Wissner <belka.ew at gmail.com> wrote:

> we decided to use .tgz at least for 13.0
> http://lists.slackbuilds.org/pipermail/slackbuilds-users/2009-July/004281.html

As it turned out, we *did* make it configurable by passing an
alternate value to PKGTYPE when invoking the script, and that's
still the case.

> but now we have 13.1 and I don't think, that there are so many
> changes, that sbo couldn't make one more update. We can use standard
> slackware format (.txz) and leave it in $PKGTYPE, so everybody can
> change it for .tlz, .tgz etc.

That's actually *more* work than the present situation - there's
no need to edit any scripts even *now* if you want to make txz
packages:

  PKGTYPE=txz ./app.SlackBuild

And could be better to define $PKGTYPE
> at the start of our scripts with other variables such arch.

There's no need to define it anywhere -- see above.

Anyway, since there seems to be some desire for a definitive
statement on this, I'm going to make one:

There are no plans to change the default package compression at
any point in the near future.  The reasons include, but are not
necessarily limited to, the following:

1. We like it that way.  :-)

2. It works fine as is.

3. It minimizes the time required to build a package.

4. It's easy to customize if the admin prefers something else.

5. There's no compelling reason to change it.

6.  We like it that way.  :-)

-RW