[Slackbuilds-users] Nvidia-legacy304-driver vdpau missing video and opengl/glx as user crash

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 03:57:15 UTC 2016

willy flagged an issue on the new nvidia-304.132 drivers.  I decided to
build a box with an older card (GTX6800) to test on bare metal before I
update (only so much one can do in qemu).  After fixing a few items, I
have these issues. The "root" issue nags my memory but I can't seem to
recall why.

Clean Slackware64-14.2 updated install, no other files.  AMD Athlon X2 3200+

1. logged in as regular user
glxgears and nvidia-settings crashes:

----------------
$ glxgears
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for
operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  154 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  3 (X_GLXCreateContext)
  Value in failed request:  0x0
  Serial number of failed request:  30

When accessing nvidia-settings OpenGL/GLX information:

$ nvidia-settings
The program 'nvidia-settings' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)'.
  (Details: serial 584 error_code 2 request_code 154 minor_code 3)
----------------

mplayer will play via -vo xv but no other driver (Big Buck Bunny
1920x1080 30fps).

2. logged in as root
everything works except mplayer -vo {vdpau | xvidix}.  Nvidia-settings
and glxgears work as expected.

So there is a vdpau issue, but nothing in logs re: user vs. root running
GLX.  as far as I know, 'ldd' reports ok.

Any assistance appreciated.  Files for testing are on
http:/www.koenigcomputers.com/ (follow biblio links...)
-Ed