[Slackbuilds-users] Cron file included with clamav-unofficial-sigs seems broken/incompatible with Slackware

Nishant Limbachia nishant at mnspace.net
Thu Oct 20 02:00:51 UTC 2016

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/extremeshok/clamav-unofficial-sigs/master/clamav-unofficial-sigs.sh,
>> by the --install-all option. I assume the packager exracted the files
>> because he didn't wan't to use the --install-all option for the package.
>>> As this package depends on clamav, which has also logrotate-script
>> starting with
>>> /var/log/clamav/*.log {
>>> ,logrotate will complain about double configuration, so you don't need
>> this logrotate at all.
>>> The best the you can do, is to fix the SlackBuild and propose it to
>> the maintainer.
>>>
>>> Johannes
>>>

>> I'm the maintainer for clamav-unofficial-sigs. logrotate and cron script
>> are provided within the clamav-unofficial-sigs.sh script and upstream
>> expects each user to use --install-all to generate those two.  With
>> SlackBuild, we shouldn't expect the user to do one additional step after
>> install to actually use the package.  So with every new version, I
>> extract logrotate and cron script first and provide them as part of
>> SlackBuild.
>>
>> As far as using upstream cron script is concerned, my intent was to
>> provide a script in DOCS so builders will take it as an example and not
>> simply copy and use the script in cron.  You can roll your own or modify
>> upstream script as you see fit.
>>
>> Here's my crontab (root)
>>
>> # Run clamav-unofficial-sigs script
>> 6 * * * * /usr/bin/bash /usr/bin/clamav-unofficial-sigs.sh > /dev/null
>>
>> I can provide my script as an example which would again go in DOCS and
>> not anywhere else.
>>

> I'm still not sure I'm following this: why is the cron file provided
with the Slackbuilds at all, if it is incompatible with Slackware? It's
worse than nothing - as the user would copy it in place and assume it
works - as it comes from Slackbuilds and it is presumed to be tested to
work with Slackware. Wouldn't it be better to provide either nothing or
provide a suitable cron file that works or at least a patch?

It is provided because it is part of the script.  You can generate one
anytime by running /usr/bin/clamav-unofficial-sigs.sh --install-cron.
Since it is part of script, I've packaged it in DOCS.

- --
Nishant Limbachia
nishant at mnspace.net
### Please note the new pgp keys
Old GPG Key: 0x0FF9D6D5 (expiring soon)
Old GPG Fingerprint: CC77 2954 DBDD CA46 49D5 BC90 786E 5DA2 0FF9 D6D5
New GPG Key: 0x3D46A2D1
New GPG Fingerprint: 44D1 27CE D07F 2ED1 B4AD 2BEE A828 D6D6 3D46 A2D1