[Slackbuilds-users] Cron file included with clamav-unofficial-sigs seems broken/incompatible with Slackware

Sebastian Arcus s.arcus at open-t.co.uk
Wed Oct 19 23:22:20 UTC 2016

On 19/10/16 21:26, Nishant Limbachia wrote:

> On 10/19/2016 08:41 AM, Franzen wrote:
> Cron
> line

>>> I can't really make sense of what is going on here - because the
>>> clamav-unofficial-sigs.cron file is included in the
>>> clamav-unofficial-sigs.tar.gz - but looking at its contents, it should
>>> be part of the sources, as it comes from upstream. Same with the
>>> logrotate and the man files. Why are they included in the SBo scripts
>>> archive?
>>
>> The cron-file and logrotate-file come from upstream, they are generated by
>>
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/extremeshok/clamav-unofficial-sigs/master/clamav-unofficial-sigs.sh,
> by the --install-all option. I assume the packager exracted the files
> because he didn't wan't to use the --install-all option for the package.
>> As this package depends on clamav, which has also logrotate-script
> starting with
>> /var/log/clamav/*.log {
>> ,logrotate will complain about double configuration, so you don't need
> this logrotate at all.
>> The best the you can do, is to fix the SlackBuild and propose it to
> the maintainer.
>>
>> Johannes
>>

> I'm the maintainer for clamav-unofficial-sigs. logrotate and cron script
> are provided within the clamav-unofficial-sigs.sh script and upstream
> expects each user to use --install-all to generate those two.  With
> SlackBuild, we shouldn't expect the user to do one additional step after
> install to actually use the package.  So with every new version, I
> extract logrotate and cron script first and provide them as part of
> SlackBuild.
>
> As far as using upstream cron script is concerned, my intent was to
> provide a script in DOCS so builders will take it as an example and not
> simply copy and use the script in cron.  You can roll your own or modify
> upstream script as you see fit.
>
> Here's my crontab (root)
>
> # Run clamav-unofficial-sigs script
> 6 * * * * /usr/bin/bash /usr/bin/clamav-unofficial-sigs.sh > /dev/null
>
> I can provide my script as an example which would again go in DOCS and
> not anywhere else.

I'm still not sure I'm following this: why is the cron file provided
with the Slackbuilds at all, if it is incompatible with Slackware? It's
worse than nothing - as the user would copy it in place and assume it
works - as it comes from Slackbuilds and it is presumed to be tested to
work with Slackware. Wouldn't it be better to provide either nothing or
provide a suitable cron file that works or at least a patch?