[Slackbuilds-users] Is the pyparsing SlackBuild still needed?

Audrius Kažukauskas audrius at neutrino.lt
Sat Mar 25 19:19:29 UTC 2017

On Sat, 2017-03-25 at 03:55:25 +0100, Kees Theunissen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The slackware package python-setuptools-22.0.5-x86_64-1 contains
>   /usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/_vendor/pyparsing.py
> and
>   /usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/_vendor/pyparsing.pyc
>
> So I'm wondering if there is still a need for a separate pyparsing SBo
> SlackBuild?
>
> The pyparsing SlackBuild is currently required as a first level
> dependency by: spice packaging pydot matplotlib sqlpp11 snuggs puddletag
> flexget enki plaso targetcli-fb letsencrypt

_vendor directory here contains embedded third party libraries which are
meant for internal use by setuptools only, likely because it requires
exact versions of those libraries.  There's no guarantee that those
embedded libraries will even be there for newer setuptools versions.
It's really not a good idea to use them by anything else other than
setuptools.

Vendoring third party code is not unusual, another well known project
that does this is python-requests.

--
Audrius Kažukauskas