[Slackbuilds-users] Sage build fail

B Watson yalhcru at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 16:58:10 UTC 2017

The following is pretty generic advice, doesn't relate specifically to
sage, but here goes anyway:

On 3/26/17, JCA <1.41421 at gmail.com> wrote:

> The first line seem to suggest that the system ran out of memory, but one
> of them comes with 3 GB of RAM, and the other with 8 GB of RAM

Have you got other memory-hungry processes running? Typical culprits
are KDE and its applications, web browsers (especially firefox), and
torrent clients.

Do you have MAKEFLAGS=-j8 or similar in your environment? Or, does sbopkg
add this for you (I don't use sbopkg often so I don't know)? Try building
with MAKEFLAGS=-j1. It'll take longer, but use less memory.

Also, have you got swap? Try creating a temporary swap file:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/swap bs=1M count=8192
mkswap /tmp/swap
swapon /tmp/swap

...the above will add 8GB of swap to your system temporarily (assuming
you have 8GB of free space in /tmp!), which might be enough to allow
your compile to finish (slowly). You can change the 8192 to whatever
you think will be enough. After you're done:

swapoff /tmp/swap
rm /tmp/swap

If the above actually works, you might want to ask the maintainer to add
a note to the README saying "This needs at least X GB of virtual memory
to build".