[Slackbuilds-users] Issue building pgadmin3-1.22.1

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Mar 30 22:43:09 UTC 2017

On Thu, 30 Mar 2017, B Watson wrote:

> Temporarily remove wxPython, wxGTK3, and any other wx* packages you have
> installed. Then install wxPython (no need to rebuild it, if you have a
> .tgz package still). Then build pgadmin3. Then, reinstall all the other
> wx* packages you removed in step 1.

   I'll try this. Don't keep the .tgz packages once they're installed, but
rebuilding can take place while I do other things.

> This isn't guaranteed to work (as in, I didn't test it), but the issues I
> see in your emails look like they're caused by having multiple versions of
> wx* installed at once.

   But worth a trial.

> This is the sort of thing that the "build everything in a clean VM"
> approach won't catch. On the other hand, you yourself could take that
> approach, and it would likely Just Work. Still, requiring users to build
> stuff in specially prepared virtual machines isn't really what I'd call
> user-friendly...

   Trying to build pgAdmin4 is much worse. Need to work in python virtual
environment (which I have installed) and install a web framework and ORM
even if only the command line runtime version is wanted. Following the
instructions in the README file step-by-step still failed. Although I
specified python3 and used pip3 to install everything when I ran qmake it
reported only python2 versions of everything.

   And I'm not the only one to experience this. Sometimes a simple tool needs
to be clean and focused. Using PyQt5, the flask web development framework,
and SQLAlchemy to build a tool that can be used with a browser or on the
command line is not user-oriented. There should be two versions, one for
those who prefer a BUI and one for those who prefer a CLI. Feh! I spent too
much time trying to get it to build and yesterday gave up the effort.

Thanks,

Rich