[Slackbuilds-users] How am I to handle two Apache Ant versions?

Luc Van Rompaey luc.vanrompaey at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 21:09:13 UTC 2019

Op vr 11 okt. 2019 om 04:24 schreef Jeremy Hansen <jebrhansen+SBo at gmail.com
>:

> I can't speak for the admins, but there shouldn't be any problem with
> having two versions as long you don't break existing programs.
>
> But to simplify, you may want to consider leaving the 1.9 version as just
> apache-ant and then have the new one be apache-ant-1.10. This way you
> don't need to go through and adjust all the SlackBuilds that already
> require apache-ant to be apache-ant-1.9. Or if the intention is to
> eventually get rid of the 1.9 version (even if it is for 15.0's release),
> it may be worth labeling that as legacy and making the 1.10 version the
> primary, but you'd need to check packages and make sure they work or have
> their REQUIRES line be adjusted to apache-ant-legacy.
>
> If they aren't compatible with each other, make sure it is mentioned in
> the respective READMEs.
>
> Good luck
> Jeremy

Didn't such a rename happen with 'openjdk' some time ago?
I seem to remember getting an 'openjdk' SlackBuild, which IIRC was the
OpenJDK 7 version.

Nowadays, all of the OpenJDK SlackBuilds include the version number in
their names.

Would it cause any issues if 'apache-ant' were renamed (be it to
'apache-ant-1.9' or 'apache-ant-legacy') and I simply added a note to the
README explaining the situation?

By the way, I don't think that Ant 1.9 should be removed, at least as long
as gcc5 remains available (as it currently is in Ponce's repository),
because if you install gcc5 and want to use Ant with it, then you will
still need Ant 1.9.

Regards,
Luc.